How to Remove Spyware/Adware
Spyware is software that returns information about you and your computer usage to the author of the software, while adware is software that simply displays ads. Both are often intertmingled.
Begin by downloading the software from the links below (contains download links). There are numerous other tools that are often helpful in removing malicious software, but these are the three most common, basic tools and we will focus on them in this series.
Spyware Removal Software
I will assume that you are familiar with the process of installing software on your computer. If you are not, then you will need to see the install page for step by step instructions on installing the software first.
Step One: Update Ad-Aware:
- Begin by clicking "Check For Updates" (above the start button):
- Click "Connect":
- After the update, choose "Finish":
Step Two: Scan Your Computer:
- After updating Ad-Aware, click the start button as shown here:
- Select "Perform Full System Scan" then click on Next:
- Wait as the scan runs (good time to get refreshments or watch some TV:
- Once the scan completes, click "Next":
- Right-click on any item, and click "Select All Objects" from the menu:
- Click "Next":
- Click "Ok" and wait as Ad-Aware quarantines all items: